Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Blog Post 5

In the article titled Body Art published by New Your Times, author Michael D. Lemonick talks about how body art has been around for thousands of years and describes some types of body art and their meanings.


“There is no known culture in which people do not paint, pierce, tattoo, reshape, or simply adorn their bodies” says anthropologist Enid Schildkrout of the American Museum of Natural History in New York City.  We use our bodies for art because it is the nearest, most intimate canvas.  In two separate showcases, this phenomenon was celebrated.  One of them was an exhibit called Body Art: Marks of Identity, and the other was a book called African Ceremonies.  In the exhibit, they devoted over 4,000 years of body modification.  Based off of tradition, body art has been used to attract the opposite sex, boost self esteem, identify with age or gender group, and mark rights of passages, like puberty or marriage.  With Indigenous people, those personal adornments stay the same.  Teenagers use body art and piercings as a form of independence and freedom, or to fit in.  People in their 20s and 30s have latched unto to “neotribal” look that has borrowed from cultures of the South Pacific to the Amazon. It’s there way of saying that they don’t belong to the supermarket society.


I think that body art is amazing.  I love how people express themselves in so many different ways through body art.  I myself have tattoos and piercings because they are a way of expressing who I am as a person and what I love.  I don’t do it to fit in at all.  I do it because it means something to me that some people wouldn’t understand.  I plan on getting more tattoos when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment